Voted by the Intermountain Acoustic Music Association as "Best Celtic Group"
For inquiries about inviting this group to perform contact this email address.
Listen: Annan Waters, a Song
Listen: A Set of Tunes with Pipes
Listen: A Set of Tunes with Fiddles
One of the longest-running music groups in the Intermountain region, having performed together for almost 20 years, Shanahy (SHAWN-uh-hee) is a band that hails from Salt Lake City, Utah, USA and performs traditional songs and tunes from the British Isles--primarily Scotland and Ireland. Shanahy entertains audiences at concerts, celtic festivals, weddings, and other celeberations. The special Shanahy sound features fiddles, highland pipes, cauldwind pipes, uilleann (Irish) pipes, whistle, flute, bodhran, guitars, and both female and male vocals. Shanahy performs traditional jigs, slip-jigs, reels, strathspeys, waltzes, airs and songs, along with a few contemporary and original pieces within the celtic style. Shanahy has released three CDs, Trip to Ballymena, Far Away and A Fair Land Lies Before Me.
Friday, March 5, 2021, 7pm
Shanahy and Callanish perform online for the
IAMA's Local Concert Series.
See this page for viewing sites: https://www.iamaweb.org/#MarLCS
Kate MacLeod is a versatile songwriter, fiddler, guitarist, vocalist, music teacher, record producer and session musician, who tours performing her own work internationally. Many of Kate's original songs are performed and recorded by other artists across the country and into Europe. She has been awarded Best of the West 2019 by the Far-West division of Folk Alliance International. In the band Shanahy, Kate sings and plays fiddle and guitar.
See Kate's website at .
Andrew Morrill descends from a distinguished line of bagpipers. That line includes his great grandfather who won the Queen's Jubilee in Scotland at the age of eighteen and, as his prize, performed for Queen Victoria. Andrew is also a leader of the Wasatch & District Pipe Band, has been a winner of individual piping competitions, and is a sought-after judge for many national competitions. In addition to playing the Highland Pipes, he is one of the few players of the Scottish Lowland ("cauldwind" or "parlor") Pipes. The haunting, seldom-heard call of the lowland pipes is a distinctive part of the Shanahy's unique sound. Other pipes Andrew performs on are the Uilleann (Irish) Pipes and the Border (Northumbrian) Pipes. Andrew also performs on whistle, flute and bodhran.
Bronwen Beecher, a classically trained violinist, she learned Irish and Scottish fiddling in the lively pubs of New Orleans and Ottawa. She developed a passion for traditional celtic music and travelled to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia to play and study with the masters of Eastern Canadian fiddling. Her curiosity about different styles of music has led her to play in bands as diverse as an award-winning bluegrass band and a modern punk band. Now Bronwen loves playing, teaching and recording celtic music in Salt Lake City, Utah. See Bronwen's website for information about her other projects, including her Celtic Rock Band, The Salty Frogs.
Mark Hazel. On his musical journey through Ohio, New Jersey and Utah, Mark Hazel has accompanied choirs on piano, played trombone in many ensembles, sung bass in a madrigal choir, and performed as vocalist and rhythm guitarist in acoustic settings and an electric rock and blues group. Although trained as a scientist, Mark continues to travel new musical paths. In the band he plays guitar and contributes his resonant vocal harmony that adds to and contrasts with Kate's vocals. He also sings lead on some songs.
Shanahy's recordings can be purchased at performances, and through this EMAIL LINK.
A Fair Land Lies Before Me (2004)
1. Calum Iain/Raigmore/Fleshmarket Close
2. Rab's Wedding/I Have Finally Found a Home
3. Strayaway Child/Wild Ponies of Chincoteague
4. Gala Water
5. The Seagull/Drawn from the Well
6. Annan Waters
7. Lads O' the Fair
8. Tripping up the Stairs/Ellis Kelly's Delight/James Byrne's
9. Archibald MacDonald of Kepoch/McNeill's of Ugadale
10. My Home - My Home(jig)/Joan's Jig/Pigeon on a Gate
11. Farewell Song
13. Highland Laddie (includes: Jack Wilson's Ball/High Road to Linton)
Far Away (1999)
1. Fox Hunter/Drops Of Brandy
2. False Knight On The Road
3. O'Carolan's Welcome/Castle Kelly
4. Far Away
5. Serving Girl's Holiday
6. Rock And The Wee Picket Tow/Hare In The Corn/Connie Walsh's Slide
7. Independence Trail/When I Was Young
8. Finnegan's Wake
9. King Of The Faeries/Bobby O'Casey's Hornpipe
10. Scarce O'Tatties/The Panda/The Herring Wife
11. Skye Boat Song/Lark In The Morning/Calliope House
12. Arthur Darley's Jig/Pinch Of Snuff
13. Jamestown Homeward Bound
Trip To Ballymena (1995)
1. Trip To Ballymena/Poisoned Dwarf/Kelsey's Wee Reel
2. Piper's Prayer/Paddy Be Aisey/The Fairy Dance
3. Lord Gregory/The Spanish Cloak
4. Flowers Of Endinburgh/Spootiskerry
5. Suigan/Silver Spear/The Mouse In The Bag Of Potatoes
6. The Butterfly/The Kid On The Mountain
7. The New Saint George/Morrison's Jig
8. The Ewe With The Crooked Horn/Molly On The Shore
9. The Full Rigged Ship/The New Rigged Ship
10. The Mill/Atholl Highlanders